Creating Smiles, Improving Lives
Our Local Services
Austin Smiles works closely with Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas to provide wrap-around support for patients and their families by:
- Serving as a resource of information for anyone affected by cleft lip/palate and referring anyone needing assistance to the appropriate person or entity
- Sponsoring cleft patients to attend “Camp Amigo,” a weekend overnight camp where participants enjoy outdoor activities, team-building exercises, and socializing with other young Texans affected by cleft lip and/or palate
- Coordinating social and emotional programming throughout the year to bring fun and fellowship to patients and families
- Providing specialty bottles for newborns, jaw surgery kits to teens, as well as other special needs assistance. For more information about no-cost specialty bottles and jaw surgery kits please email us at email@example.com
- Connecting caregivers to parent advocacy supports, resources, and our Online Cleft Community of Central Texas
About our Local Cleft Team
The Dell Children’s Craniofacial and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Center offers quality treatment in a positive, healing place. The multidisciplinary cleft team meets weekly to diagnose, discuss, and develop treatment plans for individual patients. The first visit may start with counseling even before a patient is born and continues through childhood and into adulthood. At the team visit, families meet with the plastic surgeon, orthodontist, speech therapist, and pediatric dentist. The nurse coordinator ensures a smooth path for every patient, from diagnosis through treatment. The craniofacial pediatrician addresses complex medical conditions that may be present. The social worker ensures that families are connected to vital resources and to each other. As patients are followed over the years, data is collected to study their long-term growth.
Cleft Care Kits
Is your child scheduled for a cleft-related surgery? If so, apply for a Cleft Care Surgery Kit today!
If possible, please apply at least one month prior to surgery. Cleft Surgery Care Kits include age-appropriate activities and comfort items for children and teens after surgery. Each kit is made uniquely based on the age, gender, and surgery of the child. Our surgery kits exist to help children through recovery and provide them with materials that encourage confidence, boost self-esteem and remind them that they are not alone on their cleft journey.
If you would like to make a donation of items to be used in our Cleft Care Surgery Kits please email Renee at firstname.lastname@example.org
*At this time Cleft Care Kits are only available to Central Texas Children
About Camp Amigo
Each year, Austin Smiles hosts Camp Amigo giving young local children born with cleft lip/palate the chance to be themselves, make friends, and have a great time with other children living similar experiences. Camp Amigo is a no-cost overnight weekend therapeutic camp for up to 60 campers located at Camp For All in Burton, TX. The location is perfect for campers with all levels of abilities, giving them the opportunity to bond while enjoying the following activities: ziplining, horseback riding, fishing, photoshop, kickball, cooking classes, swimming, etc. The camp also provides an opportunity for group reflection among their peers.
Check out Austin Smiles Events for Families
Find useful and accurate information about Cleft Lip and Palate
Make an impact locally by volunteering