About Austin Smiles – The Austin Plastic Surgery Foundation
Austin Smiles – The Austin Plastic Surgery Foundation is a nonprofit organization working to advance its mission of creating smiles and improving lives, focusing in Latin America and the Central Texas region. We provide cleft lip and palate repair surgery for patients in mission countries, comprehensive follow-up cleft care for these patients, and training for local doctors and nurses in their communities. Austin Smiles also provides local program support for all cleft lip/palate patients undergoing surgeries and treatment, especially in the Craniofacial and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Center at Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas.
Job Description: Executive Director
The Executive Director will oversee the organization as a whole and manage all staff. He or she will serve as the organization’s chief fundraising officer and manage all aspects of fundraising initiatives on behalf of the organization, to include grant research/writing, individual and corporation donation solicitation, and event-related fundraising efforts. The Executive Director is the primary liaison between the organization and the board of directors and in consult with the Board Chair, will create the monthly board meeting agenda, materials, and is responsible for reporting monthly on the organization’s fiscal status.
He or she, in coordination with staff, will oversee donor database management, letters of acknowledgement, and donor stewardship. The Executive Director will review invoices, sign outgoing checks, review/approve all office and event contracts, facilitate insurance policies for the organization and staff, and work closely with the Board Treasurer on financial issues/questions and the audit. He or she oversees all external communications in coordination with staff.
The Executive Director manages/oversees coordination of local programming, plans and prepares for pre- and post-trip meetings, and travels on mission trips as needed.
- Manage day-to-day office operations, ensure messages are responded to in a timely manner
- Manage and oversee staff duties and activities, communicate expectations to staff in a clear, courteous manner
- Oversee all financial aspects of the organization with regular communication with staff and Board Treasurer
- Plan/design all fundraising activities and events; oversee staff implementation; analyze results
- Create and oversee maintenance of all website content; ensure current/relevant website content
- Research new and maintain existing corporate/foundation/grant opportunities
- Oversee and approve all external communications designed by staff to include letters, newsletter, invitations, and all other printed material; provide clear instruction to staff to ensure cohesive organizational messaging
- Oversee medical mission planning and preparation
- Coordinate the annual holiday party for organization staff, board members, and major donors; plan, in coordination with staff, local annual events including a holiday party, spring picnic, and Camp Amigo for patients and families in the Craniofacial Program at Dell Children’s Medical Center
- The Executive Director also assists staff with all general office duties and any special projects or outside requests as needed in a small nonprofit environment.
- Five-ten years of nonprofit leadership with proven fundraising success through events/corporate sponsorships/grant writing/individual giving campaigns
- Some familiarity with the Greater Austin philanthropic/business community; relationships with Austin donors/community stakeholders a plus
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, project management, financial, and communication skills
- Volunteer coordination experience required
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree a plus
This is a full-time position. The salary range is $70-80k. Evening and weekend hours are required for after-hours meetings, board meetings, and events.
Austin Smiles is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person based on age, race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, parental status, or mental/physical handicap.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications must be received by Friday, June 16, 2017. No phone calls, please.